Palmiste Tampe, Haiti
In the mountains of Haiti, World Central Kitchen has provided community training on cleaner forms of cooking. In partnership with CESAL, WCK has implemented a Smart School Kitchen in the local Palmiste Tampe School, and is providing ongoing training and support to ensure that the project thrives.
World Central Kitchen’s impact:
- Constructed a community dining area where the community can safely cook and feed the children attending the adjacent school.
- Built and help to maintain a community garden that feeds 200 students daily and trained community members on how to use ingredients from the garden in daily cooking
- Trained 4 school cooks on clean cook stoves and financed salaries during the period where the school was reaching financial sustainability
- Held a community-wide Sink To Stove training to support safe and healthy cooking at home
- Constructed a chicken farm with 27 chickens to provide sustainable nutritional and economic support
- 165 students now have the ability to attend school thanks to the provision of a daily meal
- Enrollment rates have increased by 135%
By empowering community members and providing them with a new place to cook, eat and grow their own food, World Central Kitchen has created both a local and sustainable solution to hunger.
For more information about this program download our project summary on Palmiste Tempe’s Smart School Kitchen.