Palmiste Tampe, Haiti
In the mountains of Haiti, World Central Kitchen is training a community on cleaner forms of cooking, farming and feeding themselves as a sustainable community. In partnership with CESAL, WCK has implemented a SmartKitchen in the local Palmiste Tampe School, and is providing ongoing training and support to ensure that the project thrives.
The community training and smart school kitchen involves:
- Construction of a Canteen where the community can safely cook and feed the children attending the adjacent school.
- Building and maintaining a community garden to help feed 200 students daily
- Training 4 school cooks on clean cook stoves and financing their salaries until the school reaches a sustainable position
- Training the entire community on “Sink to Stove” to support safe and healthy cooking and eating at home
- Construction and implementation of a chicken farm with 27 chickens laying eggs daily
- Cooking with local ingredients from the garden
As a result of the Smart School kitchen:
- 165 students now attend school, encouraged by the provision of a daily meal, an increase of 135% in enrollment
By empowering community members and providing them with a new place to cook, eat and grow their own food, World Central Kitchen has created both a local and sustainable solution to hunger.
For more information about this program download our one pager on the Smart School Kitchen.